The Fertile Crescent: Gender, Art and Society
Mid-August 2012 – Mid-January 2013
A project organized by the Institute for Women and Art, a unit of the Rutgers University Office of he Associate Vice President for Academic and Public Partnerships in the Arts and Humanities and a member institute of the Rutgers Institute for Womens Leadership.
Directors of the project, Judith K. Brodsky and Ferris Olin.
A showcase of exhibitions, symposia, lectures, film screenings, musical and literary events by contemporary Middle East women artists, scholars, filmmakers, composers, performers, and writers.
Programs located in Central and Northern New Jersey:
- The Rutgers University campuses in New Brunswick and Newark
- Princeton University
- Institute for Advanced Study, Princeton, NJ
- Princeton, New Brunswick, and East Brunswick Public Libraries
- Arts Councils of Princeton and West Windsor
- The College of New Jersey, Ewing, NJ
- Regal Theatre, North Brunswick, NJ
Fertile Crescent Program Highlights
- Multi-site exhibition of paintings, sculpture, photographs, installations, and videos by 25 artists: Mason Gross Galleries, Rutgers University, New Brunswick, NJ; Princeton University Art Museum and Bernstein Gallery, Woodrow Wilson School, Princeton University; Arts Council of Princeton. Three solo exhibitions in Mary H. Dana Women Artists Series Galleries, Rutgers University, New Brunswick, NJ.
- Symposias, panels and lectures with engaging artists, writers, university professors, and scholars speaking about The Fertile Crescent.
- Performances including film screenings, orchestra, solo instruments and vocal concerts, and artists’ presentation.
- Special Events comprising exhibition receptions, an Artwalk, a festival afternoon with costume displays, food, and music.
- Educational opportunities for high school and university students as well as members of the community: public library “community read” discussions, a filmmaking workshop for teenagers, university courses, and adult school offerings.